Carbon Neutral Wines
Reducing the pace of anthropogenic climate change to a manageable level is one of the biggest challenges of the 21st century. There is clear scientific consensus that the human-induced global warming has to be limited to 1.5°C to ensure good living conditions for future generations. The most recent assessment report of the International Panel of Climate Change, published in August 2021, underscores the fact that the pace and magnitude of the much-needed transformation is still falling behind the requirements to achieve this goal. In fact, the global net Greenhouse Gas emissions (GHG) have to become zero until 2055, which means that no more GHG emissions may be emitted than can be sequestered.
Committed to contributing to the 1.5°C climate goal, we offer climate neutral wines. First, we calculated the GHG emissions attributable to the production and delivery of each of the climate neutral wines. Second, after exploring options to reduce the GHG emissions of these wines, we implemented several effective mitigation options. Considering the importance of the packaging material, we aim at a reduced bottle weight, which not only leads to significant reductions in the material usage, but also results in lower energy requirements for the bottle production and transport from the bottle production facility up to our customer´s home. Further, we strive to maximize the high recycling content in other packaging materials, such as closures and boxes. Only after reducing the GHG emissions of our products as described above, we compensated the remaining GHG emissions as the final step. Being aware of the pressure of food and wine production on the ecosystems and habitats, we invest in climate projects that not only mitigate Greenhouse Gas Emissions but also protect and foster biodiversity.
The Fortaleza Ituxi REDD+ Project aims at protecting forests located in one of the regions having the highest deforestation rate in the Amazon Biome: the municipality of Lábrea. As the southernmost municipality in the Brazilian state of Amazonas, Lábrea is geographically located nearby the “Arc of Deforestation” and neighbors other highly deforested municipalities. Over the life of the project, the following benefits are expected:
- Estimated net GHG emission reductions: 720,470 tCO2e, corresponding to avoidance of deforestation of 1,836.5 hectares over 30-years
- Technical training on sustainable cattle raising and forest management, fire brigades, study for a small non-wood product processing plant, production of brazil-nuts
- Seedling Production Nursery: capacity of 50,000 native-species seedlings per year and donation for neighbors wishing to plant.
- Implementation of technical education frameworks
- Complementary monitoring of labour conditions in Project Area
- Implementation of health insurance plan for workers
- Monitoring the attendance of young people in schools